Human Resources policies and procedures are important because they provide a framework for decision-making, as well as defining what behaviour is acceptable and unacceptable in the workplace. Decision-making is governed by legislation, employment contracts, policies, and organizational culture.
Without policies in place, decisions and practices may not be applied consistently, which can lead to possible violations of applicable legislation. Consistent decision-making builds trust and enhances employees' engagement in the organization's goals.
- Review existing policies and procedures, and identify potential liability from the perspective of legislative compliance
- Develop new policies and procedures, or amend existing ones, to align with legislation and organizational culture
- Provide management and staff training on human resources policies
- Assist with interpretation and implementation of policies
- Develop policy handbooks for employees